Run Your Way with Emily Sisson
"I never think that in a race. I never think, 'I’ve got this.' For better or for worse, I don’t ever feel like something’s done until it’s done."
She's done it again! Earlier this month, Emily Sisson broke her own American record in the half marathon, running 1:06:52 at the Houston Half Marathon. She became the first U.S. woman to run under 67 minutes in the half marathon on a record-eligible course, and Emily now owns four out of six of the fastest half marathon times run by an American woman. (She is also the American record holder in the marathon!) In this conversation, Emily talks about the mental side of staying so strong during training and on race day. She shares how she avoids the comparison trap, and how she stays focused on what she can do vs. what her competition is capable of. Plus, what it was like racing alongside longtime training partner Molly Huddle, the secret to that finishing kick, and what the finish line media frenzy is really like.
SPONSOR: New Balance. Click here to shop New Balance’s latest releases for the season. (The SuperComp Trainer is my favorite shoe!)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Emily has been feeling since Houston, and what it’s like being one of the greats in U.S. distance running (3:15)
- What the Houston Half finish line was like (9:00)
- When Emily decided she’d try to break her record in Houston (12:00)
- Why Emily is already thinking about running faster (17:50)
- How Emily was feeling the morning of the Houston Half (20:15)
- All about the newest addition to Emily’s family! (24:45)
- Emily explains the use of pacers during races — and why she didn’t want them for Houston (30:50)
- Emily’s choice of racing shoe: the New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Pacer (33:30)
- Emily walks us through her race at the Houston Half Marathon (36:20)
- How Emily finishes her races so strong (43:15)
- How Emily spent the rest of her day in Houston, and how she’s feeling heading into her spring marathon (45:30)
- On being clued into the competition vs. focusing inward (50:20)
- What it means to run the Emily Sisson way (53:15)
For more from Emily, check out:
Emily Sisson on Episode 588 of the Ali on the Run Show
Emily Sisson, Sara Hall, & Emma Bates on Episode 490 of the Ali on the Run Show
Emily Sisson & Shane Quinn on Episode 479 of the Ali on the Run Show
Emily Sisson on Episode 394 of the Ali on the Run Show
Emily Sisson on Episode 234 of the Ali on the Run Show
Emily Sisson on Episode 169 of the Ali on the Run Show
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
- Subscribe to the newsletter
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
The podcast Ali on the Run Show is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.