If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 12th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
RIVIAN'S ADVENTURE NETWORK OFFICIALLY UNDERWAY
- Tesla may have its impressive Supercharging Network, but Rivian wants customers to go well beyond the pavement.According to Rivian Forums, the first waypoint chargers have been spotted at Under Canvas, Utah, just north of Moab. These level 2 chargers with a 240-volt electric supply are expected to be solar-powered.
- A full charge will take all night, but this shouldn't be a problem for this particular location because it's for camping. Just get there, pitch a tent, and then park and plug in the vehicle for the night and kick back and relax.
- Rivian's new network will also include fast-chargers capable of providing up to 140 miles of range in only 20 minutes. We don't know yet whether non-Rivian owners will have access to the fast chargers and/or some level 2 units.
- Another interesting thing these waypoint chargers are good for is that they probably also power the entire campsite. Camping is all about simplicity but having access to a consistent electricity source is quite convenient, especially in an emergency situation.
Original Source : https://carbuzz.com/news/rivians-adventure-network-officially-underway
TOYOTA URGES HOUSE COMMITTEE TO REJECT 'BLATANTLY BIASED PROPOSAL'
- Japanese automaker Toyota urged a House committee to reject a “'blatantly biased proposal” that would expand tax credits to electric vehicles that are union-made.
- Toyota said while the company supported the mission to reduce carbon emissions and sell electric vehicles, they believed that the proposal to give additional tax credits to electric cars that were union-made was discriminatory.
- On Friday, House Democrats introduced a proposal to expand the tax credits for electric vehicles. Most electric vehicles would have a tax credit of $7,500. That, however, would jump to $12,500 if the cars are union-made.
- General Motors, Ford Motor Company and Chrysler parent Stellantis NV would benefit from the proposal given that they employ union workers.
- Still, several environmental and union groups have issued their support for the proposal in addition to Ford, GM and Stellantis.
Original Source : https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/572042-toyota-urges-house-committee-to-reject-blatantly-biased-proposal-on
DEMOCRATS UNVEIL NEW EV TAX CREDIT PROPOSAL WITH BOOST FOR UNIONS
- For five years, the legislation would implement $7,500 point-of-sale consumer rebates for electric vehicles and pay out an additional $4,500 for vehicles assembled in a union facility. Another $500 would be awarded for vehicles using a battery manufactured in the U.S.
- For the next five years after that, the $7,500 base credit would only apply to electric vehicles made in the U.S., but the other two incentives would stay the same.
- The first five years should incentivize EV adoption and domestic battery production, while the latter half should narrow it down to domestic producers
- Sedans under $55,000, vans under $64,000, SUVs under $69,000 and pick-up trucks under $74,000 would be eligible for the credits. Individuals with an adjusted gross income of up to $400,000, heads of households making up to $600,000 and joint filers making up to $800,000 would be able to use the program.
Original Source : https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2021/09/10/democrats-unveil-new-ev-tax-credit-proposal-boost-unions/8267723002/
US: ENTRY-LEVEL TESLA MODEL 3/Y DELIVERY TIME EXTENDS TO FEBRUARY
- According to the online design studio, the entry-level Model 3 Standard Range Plus (SR+) will be delivered in February 2022 (previously January), which is about five months from now. The Long Range and Performance versions are respectively December and November.
- A similar situation concerns the Tesla Model Y. The Long Range (AWD) version is now expected in February (previously January), while the Performance version in November.
- Model 3 Standard Range Plus (SR+) is now rated at 262 miles (422 km), which is one mile less than before
- EPA range of the Tesla Model S Plaid (19" version) - up from 390 miles (628 km) to 396 miles (637 km).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/532417/us-tesla-model3y-delivery-extends/
UK LEGISLATION WILL REQUIRE ALL NEW HOMES TO HAVE EV CHARGEPOINTS
- If pending UK legislation becomes law, all new home construction will include electric vehicle (EV) charging installations. New office buildings are part of the plan, too: they will need to provide charging infrastructure per every 5 parking spaces.
- The Consultation Description begins with the following language. “We are proposing to alter building regulations for: new residential buildings to include requirements for electric vehicle chargepoints; new non-residential buildings to include requirements for electric vehicle chargepoint infrastructure; and, existing non-residential buildings to have electric vehicle chargepoints.”
- The UK legislation, billed as the first of its kind in the world, will require all chargers to be “smart” devices that will enable batteries to be replenished without overloading the grid. Such connectivity language in the UK legislation will have the effect of promoting the use of overnight charging, so that a data connection can communicate with the car about best timing to plug into the grid.
- The new charging points might be be as simple as a Level 2 charger in a suburban garage or as costly as a bank of DC fast chargers in an underground office parking lot.
Original Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2021/09/11/uk-legislation-will-require-all-new-homes-to-have-ev-chargepoints/
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR MODIFIED VOLVO FH ELECTRIC TRUCK
- A modified Volvo FH has laid claim to an electric truck distance record – 1,099km on a single charge. Three European firms – DPD Switzerland, Continental and Futuricum – were involved in the Guinness World Record attempt for the longest distance covered by an electric truck without a recharging stop. E-truck brand Futuricum modified the base Volvo FH for package-delivery company DPD Switzerland, with the actual truck used for the record attempt pulled from its fleet after six months of active delivery duty
- The 19-ton truck now has over 680hp and, with a capacity of 680 kilowatt hours, the largest truck battery in Europe on board
- It has a banked 2.8km oval track providing ample space for the Futuricum truck to ‘stretch its legs’. In total, two drivers completed 392 laps in shifts of 4.5 hours each at an average speed of 50 km/h, which the participants say mimicks the truck’s daily average. Despite “less-than-ideal weather conditions”, the record-breaking partners said it took just under 23 hours
Original Source : https://translogistics.co.uk/2021/09/guinness-world-record-for-modified-volvo-fh-electric-truck/
NSW RELEASES MASTERPLAN FOR 1,000 "ULTRA-FAST" CHARGING BAYS ALONG MAJOR ROUTES
- The New South Wales state Liberal government has released details for its electric vehicle charging masterplan, which will aim to install 1,000 “ultra-fast” charging bays along major routes, and an interactive map to guide network owners where they should install their facilities.
- The plan for the rollout of 350kW chargers was unveiled by transport minister Andrew Constance and energy and environment minister Matt Kean, and promises the biggest EV charging network of any state or territory in Australia.
- NSW hopes to have the 1,000 charging bays in place by 2027. It will release the support funding in four different rounds, and winning tenderer will have two years to complete their installations.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2021/09/12/nsw-releases-masterplan-for-1000-ultra-fast-charging-bays-along-major-routes
TESLA (TSLA) RAISES MODEL Y PERFORMANCE CAR PRICE IN CHINA
- Tesla TSLA recently announced a price hike for its Model Y Performance car in China.
- The electric vehicle (EV) maker has escalated the price of the Performance version of the Made-in-China Tesla Model Y by 10,000 yuan ($1,550) or 2.6%, from 377,900 yuan to 387,900 yuan ($60,192), due to higher manufacturing costs. Nonetheless, the prices of the two other versions, i.e. the cheaper Standard Range version (introduced in China in July) and the Long Range version, remain unaltered, starting from 276,000 yuan and 347,900 yuan, respectively.
- Internationally, Tesla’s Model Y SUV is sold in two variants: Long Range and Performance.
- It is only in the China market that Tesla offers the cheaper Standard Range version, which debuted in July this year.
- ahead of its Indian debut, a test mule of Tesla’s Model Y electric SUV without camouflage has been spotted testing on the Indian roads. While fans were sure that Tesla’s first product for India will be the Model 3, which has been spied a couple of times on Indian roads, the latest testing confirms that Model Y will be the second offering in India.
Original Source : https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-tsla-raises-model-y-120412723.html
E-BIKE REVIEW: GOCYCLE G4, A MCLAREN DESIGNER'S TAKE ON E-MOBILITY
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/move-electric/e-bike-review-gocycle-g4-mclaren-designers-take-e-mobility
HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 VS Q4 E-TRON VS POLESTAR 2 VS MODEL 3 GROUP TEST (2021) REVIEW
Original Source : https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2021/hyundai-ioniq-5-vs-audi-q4-vs-polestar-2-vs-tesla-model-3/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PREMIUM PARTNERSPHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
BRAD CROSBYPORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATIAUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EASTNATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAIIDEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNELRICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UKEMOBILITYNORWAY.COM