'Improvise... Adapt... Overcome' - these three words always resonated with Paul de Gelder, but they took on a whole new meaning after he was attacked by a shark in 2009. Paul was working as an elite Navy clearance diver, and the incident caused him to lose two limbs.
In this episode, Paul and Ant reflect on that day and what saved his life, his mental health in recovery and how humour, resilience and a few good mates can get you through anything.
Content warning: This episode contains discussions of suicide. If you think you need immediate assistance, call 000. If you would like to speak to someone about your situation, you may wish to contact Lifeline – Call 13 11 14, or visit www.lifeline.org.au.
- Follow Paul de Gelder on Instagram @pauldegelder
- Find out more about Paul on his website https://www.pauldegelder.com/
- Paul's book 'Shark' is out now and can be purchased here
- Want to see Ant live on stage? Click here for his current tour dates.
- Follow Ant on Instagram, X, and Facebook
- Learn more about Ant on his website https://www.antmiddleton.com/
- Follow Nova Podcasts on Instagram for videos from the podcast and behind the scenes content – @novapodcastsofficial.
Host: Ant Middleton
Editor: Adrian Walton
Executive Producers: Anna Henvest & Edwina Stott
Managing Producer: Elle Beattie
Find more great podcasts like this at novapodcasts.com.au
Nova Entertainment acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land on which we produced this podcast, the Gadigal People of the Eora Nation.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.