Leadership, with Super Bowl Champion Keith Jackson
Leaders decide goals and dictate strategy. Perhaps most importantly, they set culture. But the workforce is changing and leadership must evolve with it. So what makes a good leader in this current environment? How do you engage and inspire your workforce? And what can you do to improve, so you can build your business and career?
To help us, we turned to one of the greatest leaders we know: Keith Jackson. Keith has an illustrious football journey – he played tight end at the University of Oklahoma and went on to star in the NFL with the Eagles, Dolphins and the Green Bay Packers. Over the course of his career, he was Rookie of the Year, a 5-time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion. But his experience goes far beyond the football field. Keith is on the board of Cadence Bank and he’s also the president of the youth non-profit P.A.R.K. (Positive Atmosphere Reaches Kids), which he founded in 1993. He knows a thing or two about leadership.
Throughout his career, Keith played for some of the greatest coaches the game has ever seen: legends like Barry Switzer, Buddy Ryan, Don Shula and Mike Holmgren. So in this episode, we’re going to break down what Keith learned from each of these leaders, and how their teachings apply to business today. Join us, as we tackle leadership with a legend.
- Intro to Keith Jackson (2:01)
- What leadership isn’t (3:13)
- See it, say it, write it: Keith’s formula for successful leadership (3:47)
- There’s no one-size-fits-all (5:00)
- “Leaders aren’t born, they’re mentored” (7:16)
- Barry Switzer and positive reinforcement (8:35)
- Buddy Ryan: you can’t treat everybody the same (10:18)
- Eliminating mistakes and the magic of Don Shula (12:59)
- How Mike Holmgren led by teaching (15:13)
- How leadership is evolving (17:37)
- The challenge of disengagement (18:41)
- Servant leadership as a way to inspire and engage (22:36)
- Avoiding complacency (24:18)
- Cadence Bank Website
- Cadence Bank Twitter
- Cadence Bank LinkedIn
- Keith Jackson Website
- Positive Atmosphere Reaches Kids Website
- The Coming Jobs War - Jim Clifton (2011)
- Harvard Business Review - The Trickle-Down Effect of Good (And Bad) Leadership
- Leadership Circle - How COVID has Influenced Leadership
- Forbes - The Pandemic Has Changed Leadership for the Better: How Young Leaders Will Respond to Today’s Challenges
- MIT Sloan Management Review - How to Become a Better Leader
If you have questions about the show or topics you'd like discussed in future episodes, email our producers, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The podcast In Good Companies is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.