The Next Chapter: Business Succession Planning
Those who’ve started a business know: the business is your baby. It takes love, patience and sleepless nights to get it on its feet. As it grows, you’re so proud of it. But just like a child, there comes a time when you have to let the business go. And the hope is that you’ve prepared your business to function independently, without your guidance. Can your business survive without you? Can it thrive?
Whether it’s by design or unexpected, there will be a day when you’re no longer able to run things as you once did. If you’ve prepared right, your business will be able to keep flourishing long after you’ve retired. But what does that preparation entail? It starts with a strong business succession plan, an area of expertise for our two guests on this episode: Ari Marin, Wealth Strategist at Cadence Bank, and Eric Priamo, founder and managing partner of Juniper Equity.
Together we’ll cover the key aspects of a business succession plan, like proper valuation provisions and operational redundancy, and how corporate governance structures can help you achieve those goals. Ari and Eric will also lead us through how to tackle the hard, emotional conversations that come with succession.
So join us as we write a new chapter: for your business, your family, and you.
- All the variables in a succession scenario (3:08)
- Why is succession planning critical? (4:49)
- What can happen if there isn’t a plan in place (7:11)
- The biggest barrier to the planning process (10:24)
- How to avoid family drama when talking succession (12:28)
- The farmer, the cow, and the milk: Identifying your goals (15:52)
- How Ari starts a succession plan (16:56)
- Keys to a good plan: Proper valuation provisions (18:33)
- Keys to a good plan: Flexibility & Redundancy (20:17)
- The tax tail can’t wag the dog (23:35)
- Defining corporate governance (24:54)
- How corporate governance helps you achieve your succession goals (28:18)
- How to empower your advisors (32:56)
- Cadence Bank Website
- Cadence Bank Twitter
- Cadence Bank LinkedIn
- Juniper Equity Website
- Ari Marin LinkedIn
- Eric Priamo LinkedIn
- Cadence Bank – Business Succession Planning
If you have questions about the show or topics you'd like discussed in future episodes, email our producers, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The podcast In Good Companies is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.