2.1 Gender health gaps: The true cost of chronic UTI - with Athena Lamnisos and Dr Christine Ekechi
Off-label antibiotics ordered from Hong Kong, bacteriophages cultivated in Georgia, bladder fulguration undergone in Turkey - these are some of the lengths countless women are resorting to in desperate bids to rid themselves of chronic urinary tract infections (UTIs).
In March, the NHS finally recognised the existence of chronic UTI, a debilitating condition affecting 1.7 million people - mostly women - in the UK. But months later, our exclusive research reveals sufferers are spending up to hundreds of thousands of pounds treating themselves, while NHS healthcare guidelines fail to mention the condition at all.
This week, Media Storm dives deep into underfunding, lack of research, misdiagnosing and medical gaslighting impacting healthcare for women and minority groups. We’re joined in the studio by Athena Lamnisos, CEO of The Eve Appeal, and Dr Christine Ekechi, obstetrician & gynaecologist, to discuss the roots of this “gender health gap”, the intersections within it, and the role of the mainstream media in reforming - or reinforcing - the status quo.
The episode is hosted by Mathilda Mallinson (@mathildamall) and Helena Wadia (@helenawadia).
- Athena Lamnisos @eveappeal @athenalamnisos1
- Dr Chirstine Ekechi @DrEkechi (T) @dr_christine_ekechi (IG)
- Chronic UTI UK statistics: https://cutic.co.uk/what-is-chronic-uti/
- Outdated urine testing: https://bit.ly/3ybEvn6
- Endometriosis diagnoses (UK): pslhub.org/learn/patient-safety-in-health-and-care/womens-health/appg-on-endometriosis-inquiry-report-2020-endometriosis-in-the-uk-time-for-change-october-2020-r3279/#:~:text=Summary,care%20at%20the%20right%20time. (note 2009): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19196878/
- Medical student gender ratios (UK): https://bit.ly/3beU58B
- US news analysis May 2021: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2021.644284/full
Get in touch
- Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/mediastormpod
- or Instagram https://www.instagram.com/mediastormpod
- or Tiktok https://www.tiktok.com/@mediastormpod
- like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MediaStormPod
- send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
- check out our website https://mediastormpodcast.com
Music by Samfire @soundofsamfire.
Media Storm is brought to you by the house of The Guilty Feminist and is part of the Acast Creator Network.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
The podcast Media Storm is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.