This conversation is with Robert Cheeke, also known as the “Godfather of Vegan Bodybuilding.” Robert grew up on a farm in Oregon and adopted a vegan lifestyle in 1995 at age 15, weighing just 120 pounds. Fast forward to today, and Robert is a two time natural bodybuilding champion and author of several books, the latest being the New York Times bestseller, The Plant-Based Athlete. This is a fun conversation that is packed with practical information. It is for any athletes out there curious about all the hype surrounding plant-based diets these days or just for anyone passionate about health and fitness.
- How Robert went from a skinny farm kid to a champion vegan bodybuilder
- Why a plant-based diet is beneficial for athletes
- Why recovery is essential and how diet plays a role
- If an athlete can get all their protein from plants
- Plant protein vs animal protein for muscle building
- Whole foods vs protein supplements
- If there are nutrient deficiencies plant-based athletes should be concerned about
- Tips for transitioning to a plant-based diet
- How to deal with common issues when eating more plants
- What Robert learned from interviewing many elite plant-based athletes
If you would like to connect with Robert, you can find him on Instagram: @robert.cheeke
and be sure to check out his website, veganbodybuilding.com
Resources mentioned during this episode:
That’s all for now! Be sure to subscribe and if you are enjoying the show, I would really appreciate it if you could leave a review!
Find me here, if you want to connect on Instagram: @plant_fueled
Theme music by Tyler Gaudon
Special thanks to Wyatt Pavlik for the audio editing and processing!
*Please appreciate that this information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the opinion of a physician or qualified healthcare provider!*