#138 - The Fine Line Between Adventure and Danger with Moose Mutlow
Moose Mutlow is a member of the Yosemite Search and Rescue, the Senior Projects Director for planning, design, and construction of the National Environmental Science Center at Naturebridge in Yosemite National Park, and has spent a lifetime learning and teaching outdoor skills.
As a member of SAR, Moose has seen a bad turn to worse and he believes there are things we can learn from these situations if we’re simply willing to stop talking and just listen. As you’ll hear, Moose has a big heart for people. He wants the very best for them and he wants to strengthen the outdoor community in any way possible.
We also discuss the delicate balancing act between adventure and danger and the importance of recording personal stories and then TELLING those stories so that others may learn.
All in all, this is a wonderful chat with a really great person who I’m grateful to have on the show. It was a pleasure getting to know Moose and I’m just glad to know there are people like him out there in the world trying to do good things.
Show Notes and Links
- Introductions and background
- Moose’s journey to the National Park Service
- The problem with public shaming those who have made mistakes outdoors
- How to approach the topic of bad decision making
- Riding the line between adventure, risk, and safety
- The importance of mentorship
- The importance of storytelling to pass along lessons learned
- How to properly learn from an emergency scenario
- Compassion and humility in SAR
- The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes
- Why Moose has chosen SAR
- How to deal with a rescue operation afterward
- The importance of writing out experiences
- How to have an adventure
- Yosemite Education Center
- What we can do better in the next 100 years
- How to follow up with Moose
- Searching: Finding purpose, laughter, and distraction through Search and Rescue https://amzn.to/3vU2dDJ
- When Accidents Happen: Managing Crisis Communication as a Family Liaison Officer https://amzn.to/3tJ3w5G
Thanks for listening! Check out the links below to learn more, connect, and support the show.
- Contact Me: email@example.com
- By Land Website
- Learn How To Backpack
- 6 Weeks To Solo Backpacking
- Recommended Gear
- Facebook Groups
- Support the Show
The podcast The By Land Podcast is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.