#148 - Wildfire Basics and Forest Management with Evan Guzik of the USFS
Evan Guzik is a Public Affairs Officer for the US Forest Service out of the Bridger Teton Forest and joins the podcast to walk me through the basics of wildfires. Not only am I honored to have the US Forest Service represented on my show, but it’s made even more special because Evan and I served together in the Marine Corps nearly 20 years ago.
We cover what prescribed burns are and why they’re useful, how fires are managed from beginning to end, what to do if you see a fire or you’re around one when you’re hiking or backpacking, and how to handle yourself in an area after a burn.
There’s a lot of great stuff in this episode that to me is really helpful and I think you’re going to really enjoy it. Just the fact that I now know more about what goes on in our forests is huge because I figure the more I know, the better a steward I can be out there.
If you want to learn more about wildfires, Evan provided some links that I’ve listed in the show notes so be sure to check those out when you have a chance. Again, this episode is really special to me so thanks to Evan for doing the legwork to make this happen, and thanks to the US Forest Service for being willing to put this out there!
Show Notes and Links
- Catching up with Evan
- Evan’s backstory
- Wildfire burns, prescribed burns, and a brief history of forest management
- How a fire turns from good to bad
- How a wildfire is fought and managed
- How to handle a wildfire if you see one
- How the Forest Service gauges fire danger
- To build or not to build a fire?
- What the public can do to help prevent wildfires
- Advice for hiking through a burn area
- https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ (fire information)
- https://www.nifc.gov/ (Wildland Fire resources)
- https://www.nwcg.gov/ (Wildfire Training)
- https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Wildfire/Firewise-USA (Home Defensible Space)
Thanks for listening! Check out the links below to learn more, connect, and support the show.
- Connect: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Main Website: https://byland.co/
- Courses Homepage: https://courses.byland.co/
- Learn How To Backpack: https://courses.byland.co/learnhowtobackpack
- 6 Weeks To Solo Backpacking: https://courses.byland.co/6-weeks-to-solo-backpacking-waitlist
- Recommended Backpacking Gear: https://byland.co/recommended-gear-summary
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@EmoryByLand
- Facebook Groups: https://byland.co/facebook-groups
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emory_by_land
- Support the Show: https://byland.co/donate
The podcast The By Land Podcast is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.