Octopus Death Frenzy, Wildlife Tracking, Fungi to the Rescue
Today, you’ll learn about a new discovery that explains what causes octopuses to go into a death frenzy when they have kids, how air pollution sensors could help track invasive species, and how fungi could save entire ecosystems.
Find episode transcripts here: https://curiosity-daily-4e53644e.simplecast.com/episodes/octopus-death-frenzy-wildlife-tracking-fungi-to-the-rescue
- “Octopuses Torture and Eat Themselves After Mating, Science Finally Knows Why.” by Stephanie Pappas. 2022.
- “Octopus Moms Enter Death Spiral Before Eight-Armed Bundles Are Born.” by Jeanna Bryner. 2018.
- “Accidental DNA collection by air sensors could revolutionize wildlife tracking.” by Natasha Gilbert. 2023.
- “Air Pollution Monitors Have Been Accidentally Harvesting Wildlife DNA.” by Matthew Sparkes. 2023.
Fungi to the Rescue
- “Invasive Palms and WWII Damaged an Island Paradise. Could Fungi Help to Restore It?” by Virginia Gewin. 2023.
- “Rewilding the Planet.” by Aisling Irwin. 2023.
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.