Marcy Summers is well-known for her outstanding work for the conservation of the maleo, a chicken-like bird that only lives on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi. In 2006, Marcy co-founded ALTO - Alliance for the Tompotika Conservation - a local NGO which protects, among other species, the maleo bird.
With Marcy, we talk about:
- Her life-changing decision to dedicate her career to protect the maleo
- Why the maleo is such a special bird
- The threats and challenges the maleo faces in its habitat
- How to engage and work with local communities and make them proud neighbors of the maleo
Hosting this podcast episode is Rosamira Guillen, co-founder and Executive Director of Fundación Proyecto Tití, a Colombian NGO protecting the cotton-top tamarin, a tiny monkey that exists only in one small forested area in northern Colombia.
For more information, see:
- About the Land Acquisition Fund
- How to support the Land Acquisition Fund
- Twitter page
Produced by Lucia Guaita.