Zombie Virus, Back From the Brink, Bad Cholesterol
Today you’ll learn about a zombie virus recovered from the arctic permafrost and brought back to life, some good news about 26 Australian animal species that have been brought back from the brink, and how a new pill could potentially limit the levels of “bad” cholesterol in the body.
- “Scientists have revived a ‘zombie’ virus that spent 48,500 years frozen in permafrost.” By Katie Hunt. 2023.
- “Arctic permafrost is thawing rapidly. It affects us all.” By Katie Hunt. 2022.
Back From the Brink
- “Researchers find 26 Australian species recovered from the brink of extinction.” abc.net. 2023.
- “Lights at the end of the tunnel: The incidence and characteristics of recovery for Australian threatened animals.” by Woinarski, et al. 2023.
- “Humpback whales no longer listed as endangered after major recovery.” by Claudia Long. 2022.
- “Red List: Summary Statistics.” n.a. N.d.
- “Oral pill cuts bad cholesterol by 60% in phase 2 clinical trial” By Michael Irving
- “Efficacy and safety of the oral PCSK9 inhibitor MK-0616: a phase 2b randomized controlled trial” by Christie M. Ballantyne et al.
- “What Is the Difference Between Good and Bad Cholesterol?” by Keck Medicine of USC
- “Coronary artery disease” by Mayo Clinic
- “PCSK9 gene” by MedLine Plus
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
Find episode transcripts here: https://curiosity-daily-4e53644e.simplecast.com/episodes/zombie-virus-back-from-the-brink-bad-cholesterol
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.