This weekend at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California, the USA Basketball Senior Women's National team will have their official changing of the guard. It is there that the first training camp A.G. (After Geno), will be held. Dawn Staley takes over as head coach, and between players in the WNBA finals and a few missing for other reasons, the 18 participants will generally speaking be a group of young players vying for the few spots that may be available.
Carol Callan returns to Dishin & Swishin for this week's podcast, and if anyone knows about transitioning to new coaches and new ways of conducting business, it is Callan. Callan is responsible for all USA Basketball women's team programs, including competitions, trials, training camps, and serves as a liaison to women's competition committees.
Topics covered include:
- How do players not in the USA pipeline get camp invites
- Eligibility before and after international representation of other countries
- Adjusting to a new head coach and the importance of this and other camps this year
- Building a cohesive team when you only meet for a few days, a couple of times per year, including the importance of veteran players like Bird and Taurasi
- USA Basketball's first "Women in the Game" conference being held this weekend for high school and college students
Enjoy the podcast!