For additional notes and resources check out Douglas’ website.
Things mentioned in this podcast:
- The American Civil War (1861-1865)--over 600,000 dead.
- The incongruity of brothers killing brothers! Nearly all denominations urged the killing of soldiers on the other side.
- The Restoration Movement was exceptional in not dividing (though there was still a negative impact). Nearly all the RM leaders were pacifists.
- Luther: okay to kill unless you know it's a fellow Christian. (Isn't this backwards?)
- Not allowed to sue a brother (1 Corinthians 6). So would we be allowed to kill him? If we cannot hate our enemies (Matthew 5), can we hate our brothers in Christ?
- Romans 12:12-21.
- Mark Twain (1835-1910): War Prayer (available in many places in the public domain) an incisive and biting rebuke of militant Christianity.
- If this podcast inbtrigues you, be sure also to hear Law, Allegiance, Revolution.