For additional notes and resources check out Douglas’ website.
- Keeping the commands in our hearts, or writing them on the tablet of our hearts, isn’t just scripture memory; it’s obedience.
- Trusting in the Lord – really letting go – is hard!
- Straight paths means not that life is easy, but that we are doing right morally – on the straight and narrow.
- Honoring God with our wealth includes resisting materialism. See Amos 6:1-7; Prov 1:19.
- Vs. 11-12, cited in Heb 12, encourages us not to take God’s correction lightly or too hard.
- The “tree of life,” from Gen 3, reappears four times in Proverbs and 4x in Revelation.
- “Watery depths” is the sea beneath the earth (in the ancient cosmology).
- 3:27-28 are similar to a passage in ch 24.
- The final verses: Mocking proud mockers – opposing the proud – but showing favor / grace to the humble (and oppressed) is cited a number of times in the NT.
Challenge of the day: Humility. Let go and let God…
Next lesson: Proverbs 4, another chapter highlighting fundamental heart issues important for developing a disciplined life.