For additional notes and resources check out Douglas’ website.
- Training instills obedience. Jesus himself underwent this process (Heb 5:9).
- It’s easier to accept guidance from someone who accepts guidance (3:3).
- Many years (v.10) isn’t an iron-clad promise. Like most proverbs, it’s a general truth. When we follow God we tend to live longer lives (indicated by gray hair).
- We must guide our hearts (v.23) and keep our gaze directly ahead – stay focused! Jesus did, so we should take him as our model.
- Final verse: Veering to the right or left means disobeying God’s word. (See Deut 5:32 etc.)
Challenge of the day:
- Stay focused.
- "One man has enthusiasm for thirty minutes, another for thirty days, but it is the man who has it for thirty years who makes a success of his life." — Butler (1612-1680)
Next lesson: Proverbs 5, the first of three chapters targeting sexual sin.