I am joined on the show by Jimmy. He is a native New Yorker, born and raised in the Bronx, a former lean addict who used cooking and painting to heal and recover from addiction. He's also my partner in crime -- so I'm happy he's joining us.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Jimmy's childhood and how the abuse he suffered impacted his actions and sense of self
- Why he got into cooking and what he's learned
- Black men and how they're perceived when it comes to abuse and recovery
- How he came to "own" his story and why he considers the culinary world a group of misfits
- What caused him to pick up painting, what he hopes to do with it and what he's learned about himself in the process
There was so much courage and wisdom in his story. I wish I could have shared it all but it would have been a LONG episode but I plan to release the unedited version one day soon!
Stay safe out there, friends! Here is the link to some online AA meetings.
If you're looking for a black therapist or resources, check this out!
And as always, thank you for listening to my lovely show. If possible, I would love for you to review me on iTunes, Google, Stitcher -- anywhere, really.
If you have comments or suggestions feel free to hit me up via the ways below! And sign up for my mailing list. I do like to do giveaways from time to time.
Support the show (https://ko-fi.com/gettingyourishtogether)