Tantrums. They are one of the greatest challenges that come with motherhood and they always seem to occur in the most inconvenient of times. So what in the world do you do to get your child and you through them without escalating the issue even more? We’ll be talking all about this topic and more in today’s episode.
I’m joined by Dr. Becky Kennedy, a clinical psychologist specializing in parenting and resilience. We are chatting about tantrums and how to handle them. As you’ll hear in the episode, the strategies mentioned apply to both toddlers, older kids and adults. There is a lot of information in the episode and I encourage you to find one takeaway that seems manageable for you and your family and start there!
In this episode we discuss:
- How to self-regulate as adults
- Triggers that we experience as parents and how to handle them
- Key in-the-moment tantrum strategies
- Understanding what a tantrum is and why it occurs
- The importance of understanding how we were raised as children and how that translates into our own parenting
- Managing tantrums when you are caring for multiple children
- What to do if you and your partner disagree on how you parent
- Supporting nonverbal children through a tantrum
Dr. Becky's Resources:
Connect with me on Instagram @motherhoodmeetsmedicine. For full show notes, head to lynzyandco.com/motherhood-meets-medicine-the-podcast/
Join the Motherhood Meets Medicine community at patreon.com/motherhoodmeetsmedicine.
Disclaimer: This podcast does not provide medical advice. The information on this podcast is for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.