If your child is having a meltdown or throwing a tantrum in the supermarket, you'll do almost anything to make them stop—including turning into MeanParent™. But there's another way!
Dr. Tina Payne Bryson offers a different approach to discipline, free of threats and punishments, that is based on neuroscience. Understanding and nourishing your child's developing brain will not only help you survive the chaos, but also help them thrive - because their behavior is telling you loud and clear what skills they don't yet have.
In this episode, Tina shares some of the key ideas on parenting from the books she wrote with Daniel J. Siegel, The Whole-Brain Child https://www.blinkist.com/en/nc/browse/books/the-whole-brain-child-en  and No-Drama Discipline https://www.blinkist.com/en/nc/browse/books/no-drama-discipline-en .
Not a parent? Keep listening anyway – this episode will help you understand what happens to your loved ones when they’re having a meltdown, and how you can best support them.
Books recommended by Tina:
- The Addiction Inoculation: Raising Healthy Kids in a Culture of Dependence, by Jessica Lahey
- Your Turn: How to Be an Adult, by Julie Lythcott-Haims
Books recommended by Caitlin:
- The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You, by Elaine N. Aron
- The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them, by Elaine N. Aron
Other Tina's books mentioned in the interview:
- The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired, by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child, by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- The Bottom Line for Baby: What the Science Says about Your Biggest Questions and Concerns, by Tina Payne Bryson
Try Blinkist for free for 14 days by going to https://www.blinkist.com/simplify , tapping on Try Blinkist at the top right, and entering the code TANTRUM.
Let us know what you thought of this episode, or just come say hi on Twitter! Find Caitlin at @caitlinschiller https://twitter.com/caitlinschiller , Ben at @bsto https://twitter.com/bsto . Simplify is produced by Caitlin Schiller, Ben Schuman-Stoler and Marta Medvešek. Thanks to Luiza S. Carvalho for audio engineering chops and Odysseas Constantinou for music.