S2 Ep7: REST (escape the chaos)
Ease yourself through the holiday preparations with this gentle episode all about rest, including a host of ideas for taking care of yourself as winter moves in. With inspiration from Liza Dalby (@lizadalby), Jilly Shipway, Shiva Rea (@shivarea108), Lucy Brazier (@brazier.lucy), Claudia Hammond (@claudie_hammond_), Gareth Owen, Katherine May (@katherinemay_) and Sonoko Sakai (@sonokosakai).
Featured in this episode:
- East Wind Melts the Ice by Liza Dalby (Chatto & Windus)
- Tending the Heart Fire by Shiva Rea (Sounds True)
- Yoga Through the Year by Jilly Shipway (Llewelyn)
- River Cottage Christmas by Lucy Brazier (Bloomsbury)
- The Art of Rest by Claudia Hammond (Canongate)
- Wabi Sabi: Japanese wisdom for a perfectly imperfect life by Beth Kempton (Piatkus)
- Winter Days by Gareth Owen in The Oxford Book of Christmas Poems edited by Michael Harrison (Oxford University Press)
- Wintering by Katherine May
- Japanese Home Cooking by Sonoko Sakai (Shambala)
- Calm Christmas and a Happy New Year: A Little Book of Festive Joy by Beth Kempton (Piatkus)
Jennifer Piercy’s Melatonin Magic yoga nidra meditation is here on Insight Timer.
You can download a FREE copy of The Perfectly Imperfect 2022 Digital Planner here, to help you reflect on the year and look ahead to 2022.
Ingredients for the featured recipe (makes 4 servings)
• 3.5 cups or 830ml dashi stock - there are wonderful recipes for making your own dashi in the book, but you can also buy it as stock from places like the Japan Centre.
• 3 tablespoons of white or red miso
• 2 oz (57g) mushrooms of your choice, stems removed and sliced 1/4 inch or 6mm thick
• 4oz (113g) soft or medium-firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch (6mm) dice
• 1 teaspoon yuzu or lemon peel, pith removed
You can buy dashi stock from Japanese supermarkets and stores such as japancentre.com.
To be in with a chance of winning a signed copy Wintering by Katherine May and a signed copy of my book Calm Christmas, head over to Instagram @bethkempton. The deadline for entries is 4pm UK time on Friday December 17, 2021.
The podcast The Calm Christmas Podcast with Beth Kempton is embedded on this page from an open RSS feed. All files, descriptions, artwork and other metadata from the RSS-feed is the property of the podcast owner and not affiliated with or validated by Podplay.