Experts are telling us we are in Child Sexual Abuse epidemic in Australia. None of us want to believe that someone close to us, or our child would ever sexually abuse them, but the statistics tell us that abusers are generally people who are trusted by the child’s family and who are given access to the child.
In this episode I'm joined by Kayelene Kerr, a former police officer with 24 years experience in law enforcement investigating sexual crimes. Kayelene is highly experience, educated and is recognised as one of Western Australia’s most experienced providers of Child Protection workshops.
Through her company, eSafe Kids, Kayelene provides national and international workshops and webinars to children. She also educates parents, teachers and other professionals on how to talk with children, young people and vulnerable adults about protective behaviours and body safety.
This conversation may not be for little ears. It is full of hard truths and terrifying statistics, but it’s a conversation that parents and carers of children need to be apart of. It is also full of simple and practical tips to help educate and empower our kids, and protect them from abuse.
Find out more about Kayelene at www.esafekids.com.au
and here's a list of books and resources
- Police 000 or Police Assistance Line 131 444
- Extensive list of resources and state specific support services can be found at au.reachout.com
- 1800 Respect National Helpline 1800 737 732
- Lifeline 24 hour crisis line 131 114
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- NSW Child Protection Helpline 132 111
- Bravehearts - Information and support relating to child sexual abuse: 1800 272 831
- Act For Kids to prevent and treat child abuse and neglect www.actforkids.com.au
- Blue Knot Foundation for female adult survivors of child sexual abuse. 1300 657380 or www.blueknot.org.au
- Samsn for male adult survivors of child sexual abuse. 1800 472676 or email@example.com
- Living Well app- designed to assist men who have been sexually abused during childhood
I would love to continue the conversation with you over on Instagram @theconsciousproject_____
If you enjoyed this episode, please hit subscribe and share on your socials! (Don’t forget to tag me so I can see!)
The Conscious Project is produced by Joanne Helder
We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we work and live, the Darkinjung People, and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.