Amelia Nagoski, D.M.A. (Doctorate of Musical Arts), is Associate Professor and Coordinator of Music at Western New England University. Amelia is co-author, with her twin sister Emily, of Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle. I first came across Emily and Amelia on Brene Brown's podcast and instantl;y bought their book - which I urge you to do so too! Emily couldn't join us for this recording but Amelia did an incredible job of telling us what we need to know when it comes to burnout.
This episode covers:
- Inspiration behind the book 'Burnout'
- What exactly is burnout and how it differs from work-related stress?
- “Human-giver syndrome”
- Why those in helping professions are more likely to experience burnout.
- The causes of burnout and how to prevent it happening
- How to recover from burnout.
- What fundamental things organisations can do to support their staff and prevent burnout.
- How to set and deal with the guilt of implementing boundaries in your work and personal life.
- Practical exercises people can do to integrate more down time and rest into their schedules.
If you loved this episode make sure to give it a review, rating (hopefully 5 stars) and share it with your friends and family.
This podcast episode is sponsored by WHOOP. Right now, you can get your first month free when you checkout through join.whoop.com/thefoodmedic