Double Lung Transplant, Blue Whale Behavior, Lie Detector
Today you’ll learn about how doctors are successfully using double lung transplants for cancer patients, how blue whale behavior changes with environmental conditions, and how the history of the polygraph machine may have been based on a lie.
Find episode transcripts here: https://curiosity-daily-4e53644e.simplecast.com/episodes/double-lung-transplant-blue-whale-behavior-lie-detector
Double Lung Transplant
- “New double lung transplant technique is successful in two late-stage cancer patients.” by Kaitlin Sullivan and Kate Snow. 2023.
- “250 days and counting: Waiting on new lungs after Covid.” by Erika Edwards. 2022.
- “New guidelines would nearly double lung cancer screenings, benefit more women and Black people.” by Kelsie Sandoval. 2020.
- Cancer death rates are falling. Advances in lung cancer treatment are playing a major role.” by Erika Edwards. 2020.
Blue Whale Behavior
- “Blue whale foraging and reproduction are related to environmental conditions, study shows” by OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
- “Environmental conditions and marine heatwaves influence blue whale foraging and reproductive effort” by Dawn R. Barlow et al.
- “Context-dependent variability in blue whale acoustic behaviour” by Leah A. Lewis et al.
- “Blue Whale” by Discovery of Sound in the Sea and University of Rhode Island
- “The IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria” by The IUCN Red List
- “The Lie Detector Was Never Very Good at Telling the Truth” by Amit Katwala
- “Lie Detectors Are Junk Science, but We Keep Using Them” by KATRINA GULLIVER
- “What's the Deal with Lie Detectors?” by Michelle Kaminsky
- “The Effectiveness and Future of Polygraph Testing” by EBPSociety
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.