This conversation is with Corey Thatcher. He shares his experience overcoming a severe eating disorder and ultimately competing for Canada at the Obstacle Course Racing World Championships. Currently, Corey is studying health and physical education and psychology at Mount Royal University in Calgary, Canada. He is bringing together his passion for physical literacy and fascination with psychology to promote a holistic and non-pharmaceutical approach to mental health treatment.
- Wrong reasons for becoming vegetarian
- Why it’s harmful to tie your identity to an external source
- The dangerous black hole of calorie tracking apps
- Hitting rock bottom and accepting treatment
- Techniques and strategies used in recovery
- “Mechanical eating”
- Benefits of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Training for competition without relapsing
- Representing Canada at the Obstacle Course Racing World Championships
- Healthy goal setting and cultivating purpose
- Recognizing the intention behind behaviours
- Relapse is a part of recovery
- Dos and don’ts for friends/family of someone struggling
Connect with Corey on Instagram: @thatchman19
That’s all for now! Be sure to subscribe and if you are enjoying the show, please share with your friends and family!
Find me here, if you want to connect on Instagram: @plant_fueled
Theme music by Tyler Gaudon and special thanks to Wyatt Pavlik for the audio editing and processing!
*Please appreciate that this information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the opinion of a physician or qualified healthcare provider!*