Varied Not Random
Varied Not Random
About Varied Not Random
- A VNR listener is struggling with arthritis. - Her doctor told her to stop doing CrossFit. She is seeking advice. - Pat is actually dealing with a similar issue & is scheduled to have a total hip replacement. - Pat & Adrian discuss arthritis & the various options for managing it.
- Do supplements actually work? Are they worth the money? - EC Synkowski is the owner of OptimizeMe Nutrition & is a subject matter expert on this topic. - EC, Pat & Adrian discuss Multi-vitamins, BCAA’s, Fish Oil, Creatine, Protein Powder, Caffeine, Powdered Veggie Drinks & much more.
- After repeating benchmark workouts several times it can be fun to modify the workout to make it a new experience for athletes. - Pat & Adrian discuss how to put a fun twist on benchmark workouts. - They describe how to accomplish this through general principles, as well as provide specific workout examples.
- Gerald Parker is a husband, a father, a CrossFitter & he is also a Judge serving on the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Bench (General Division). - This Division hears all adult felony criminal cases & civil cases. - Judge Parker has been instrumental in creating programs that use physical fitness to help people get their lives in a positive direction & avoid prison. - He discusses these topics & programs with Pat & Adrian.
- Dave Durante is a multiple time USA gymnastics national champion and was part of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Team as an alternate. He helped coachStanford University to an NCAA Team Title in 2009. Dave was a lead coach with the CrossFit Gymnastics L1 course from 2013-2015. He also wrote and developed the CrossFit Gymnastics Advanced Course. Dave is co-owner of Power Monkey Fitness and Power Monkey Camp. - Dave discusses his athletic background as well as what led him to CrossFit. - Pat, Adrian & Dave dive into why & how gymnastics plays such a vital role in a well rounded strength & conditioning program.
- David Osorio is the owner of CrossFit South Brooklyn. - This gym was established in 2007 & has undergone countless evolutions. - David shares some of the best practices he has developed over the years to optimize CrossFit in a group setting. - David does not assign an “Rx’d” load for his gym’s workouts. He also has 2 days a week when members have the freedom to choose parts of their workout. - He shares these ideas along with other aspects that make CF South Brooklyn unique & special. - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- An athlete has bad shoulders & has undergone multiple surgeries. Overhead movements such as the push jerk seem to do more harm than good. - The athlete feels the movement should be avoided, but their coach believes otherwise. - When, if ever, is it appropriate to stop doing certain movements? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- A rowing athlete was told by their coach that in order to improve they needed to spend more time rowing. - This same rowing coach also told the athlete there was no benefit in strength training or high intensity training. - Pat & Adrian explore the validity of this claim.
- If you have an occupation, like a 1st responder, that requires you to be ready to work at any time, with no warm-up how do you adequately prepare for this? - Should people in this line of work modify the manner in which they train? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic & more.
- A VNR listener is concerned the programming at their gym is bad & wants to know how to fix the situation. - Pat & Adrian discuss how to evaluate programming. - They talk about the various aspects one should consider when discerning the effectiveness of a program.
- We’ve all had workouts where the weight felt extra heavy or it took much longer than expected. - Bad workouts can negatively affect your confidence, fill you with doubt & have you questioning your training. - What should you do after a “bad” workout to help get yourself back on track physically & mentally? - Pat & Adrian dive into this topic.
- Chris Hinshaw is widely considered one of the top endurance coaches in the world. - He is a 10x Ironman Competitor who has coached 34 CrossFit Games Champions as well as 50+ CrossFit Games Podium Athletes. - Pat & Adrian talk with Chris about the benefits of running, why it works & various strategies to improve your performance. - Chris & Pat created the VNR 1.5 Run Program & discuss what makes it so special & how to use it.
- A VNR listener wants to know if working out will correct poor posture? - This VNR listener says he has poor posture in his neck & shoulders. - He wants to know if he should fix his posture before he begins doing CrossFit? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- A VNR listener is buying an existing gym. The current training staff seems to be “managing” the group classes well, but not actually “coaching” members. The new owner wants to elevate the staff to offer world class coaching. How can this be done? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- A VNR listener asked which workout schedule is better, six 30-minute sessions a week or three 1-hour sessions a week? - This person is a new parent trying to fit as much fitness as possible into their busy schedule. - Pat & Adrian discuss the pros & cons of these two options & offer a 3rd option to consider.