It can be so easy to take on more responsibilities than you should because you lack boundaries to say 'no' or you want to be seen as that person that can do it all. But that's the mindset that will hurt you in the long run & cause burnout & resentment.
- I used to be that person that would stay busy on purpose because I needed the distraction in my life. I needed to not think about what I was feeling about this & that negative experience & any family drama that was going on, some disappointments I was dealing with & the lack of fulfillment I was having in my current jobs.
- And even in that state of putting so much on myself on purpose, I still did it anyway because it was a coping mechanism.
- Is having a busy schedule & taking a lot on your plate a coping mechanism for you, too?
- It’s a common strategy because you literally leave yourself no time to deal with whatever else is happening in your life. But eventually, you will have to deal with it. My suggestion would be to deal with it sooner than later.
- But back on point talking about taking on too much. Are you taking on too much just for the sake of needing to be there for everyone else besides yourself? Are you saying ‘yes’ to everything because you want to please others or feel bad because you know no one else is going to step up like you would? Or do you suffer from being too proud to ask for help or really see how overbooked you are?
- When you take on too much, you can easily fall down the road of burning yourself out really quickly & even building up resentment for people around you that don’t at least offer to help with whatever you’re doing, even if you don’t want it. It’s this catch-22 kind of thing where you wanna look good doing all these things and want people to offer their help, but not actually take it.
- And I know you want to have that pride that you can do it all & be the best. I know because I’ve been there, but it’s not worth it. And it’s not necessary to put your entire worth on whether or not you can multitask like a boss. Or the need to identify as a super mom or dad or person. Your self-worth should come inside of who you know & believe you are, not the output you receive from the world.
- And today I wanted to chat about some ways for you to realize you are probably taking on too much & need to take a step back to reevaluate your overwhelming responsibilities:
- You aren’t doing everything as well as you used to.
- More people are coming out of the woodwork with things for you to do.
- You end up backing out of things or canceling commitments.
- You’re not making time to take care of yourself.
- You start to resent what you’ve committed to.
- Other people are telling you you’re taking on too much.
Thank you again for listening & I hope this episode was helpful.
Come visit me on my Instagram page @sabrinajoyperozzo to say hi or on Clubhouse @sabrinajperozzo to chat!
Visit www.sabrinajoy.com for more content & blog posts!
Have any questions, comments or feedback? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
See you for the next episode!
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sabrinajoy)