Content Warning: violence against trans and gender diverse community, sexual assault
We recognize the immense responsibility our agency and those who provide support to survivors of sexual assault and work to prevent sexual violence from occurring have in being inclusive to trans and gender diverse folks as well as standing up for this community’s fair and equitable treatment. The harmful attitudes, treatment, and policies made against the trans and gender diverse community is nothing new and while we have worked to improve services and outreach to this community, the comments made by a famous author has compelled us to dedicate this episode to discuss the issues and opportunities surrounding support for this community. You may notice Alayna and Mel struggle at parts during this discussion. As both of us are cisgender women, we know this discussion doesn't come from a place of experience. We kept the awkward struggles to acknowledge we are not experts and your education doesn't end here.
The Facebook group Alayna references is sounds like you need to be educated on transgender individuals but okay
Here are some trans/queer/gender diverse podcasts we suggest which are lead by trans/gender diverse folx:
- NB, My Non-Binary Life. Produced by BBC, Join Caitlin Benedict (non-binary journalist) andAmrou Al-Kadhi (drag performer and filmmaker) as they ask the big questions about gender & identity.
- Queersplaining. A LGBTQ/Social Justice focused podcast hosted by Callie Wright sharing true stories of the lives of queer and trans folx.
- One From the Vaults a trans history podcast by Morgan M. Page. Bringing all the dirt, gossip, and glamour from trans history!
Fantasy series with Trans on Non Binary Characters
- The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley
- Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab
- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Fantasy series with Queer characters
- Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- The Witches Don’t Burn by Isabel Sterling
- We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia
Still Not Asking For It is produced by Mel Gerard and hosted by Alayna Milby
This podcast is brought to you by Hope Harbor, A Sexual Trauma Recovery Center where we provide free, confidential services to anyone impacted by sexual violence in south central Kentucky. For more information on services and ways to get involved, check out our website hopeharbor.net where you can also find our blog, Thanks for Asking.
Our theme is Girl Tones' Can't Pause. Girl Tones is a 2-piece punk rock band based out of Western Kentucky. Check out their website girltones.com
For questions or topic suggestions, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can call us 24/7 at 270.846.1100 for questions, resources, or someone to talk to.
In September 2020 we commemorated Hope Harbor's 35th Anniversary. We are unable to have the fundraising events we hoped for due to COVID19 and instead we are hosting an online fundraiser. You can find more information about Coral & Jade: Hope Harbor's 35th Anniversary and how to donate by clicking the link.
Thank you for hanging out with us!